CBM – EU Policy Officer
CBM is an international Christian development organisation, committed to improving the quality of life of persons with disabilities in the poorest communities of the world.
CBM’s EU Liaison Office is now accepting applications for an EU Policy Officer (m/f)
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Contract: Duration and Start : June 1st – December 12th 2014
To assist the EU Advocacy team with the ongoing work of the EU Liaison office, promoting the rights of persons with disabilities in European Union development cooperation policy, human rights and programming. In 2014, this work has a focus on the institutional changes at EU level. The position holder reports to the Director International Advocacy and Alliances, located in Brussels.
Ensure that the changes in EU institutions in 2014 lead to increased commitment to disability inclusive development in EU external action. This will include:
- Promotion of the International Disability and Development Consortium (IDDC) election statement to candidates in the 2014 EP elections
- Draft and send letters to top-candidates to explain the context of disability as a human rights and development issue
- Analyse the election results of the European Parliament (EP) elections (who of the signatories to the IDDC statement is in, composition of new committees etc.)
- Produce welcome kit for new Members of the European Parliament
- Attend relevant meetings with EU institutions or EU networks
- Establish new contacts with EU officials
- Help to identify Members of the European Parliament to table questions at the Commissioner’s hearings
- Find-out and influence work programme of the „new“ institutions so that disability inclusion can be part of the work from the beginning.
Raise awareness on disability inclusive development in Brussels through running of high profile events. This will include:
- Helping to organise a post-election event at the European Parliament
- Preparing another public event around December 3rd
- Work with the EU advocacy team and regional and countries offices/ partners to build linkages between grass roots disability organisations and EU institutions
Promote disability inclusive development through communications. This will include:
- Write articles (or other features) for CBM.org or other communication channels
- Contribute to briefing papers and publications on topics such as EU disability and development issues and the UN post 2015 agenda
Professional Profile and Requirements
- Comprehensive knowledge of EU institutions
- Direct experience of engaging with EU institutions in the field of external cooperation / human rights
- Language skills: English (professional proficiency in written and interpersonal communication), French (advantageous)
- Experience in professional writing for a variety of audiences (policy language, Web based/ social media)
- Experience in organising events (planning, drafting invitations and dissemination, logistics, reporting)
Personal Profile / Competencies
- Enjoys external communication and networking
- Team worker
- Attention to detail
- Displays intercultural competence and inclusiveness
- Innovative and creative
- Holds a valid work permit for Schengen (EU) countries
The future job holder adheres to CBM’s values and commits to CBM’s Child Protection Policy.
CBM encourages persons with disabilities to apply for this position.
Candidates with the required profile and proven experience are invited to submit, via e-mail, in English, a letter of motivation, CV, salary expectations and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only applicants holding a valid working permit for Schengen (EU) countries can be considered.
Application deadline March 13th 2014
Interviews will take place in Brussels on March 20th 2014