Social Justice Advocacy Internship
Oxfam International EU Advocacy Office
Brussels , Belgium
Oxfam’s EU Advocacy Office challenges EU policies to make them work for people in poverty. Oxfam International is seeking an enthusiastic intern to support the work of its EU policy advisors working in the areas of development cooperation, tax and inequality, climate and energy, food security. You will gain hands on experience working with the EU advocacy team of a leading international non-governmental organisation, develop your analytical and advocacy skills and acquire practical knowledge of EU policy-making and legislative processes.
- Monitor EU policy-making and legislative processes in the areas of development cooperation, tax and inequality, climate and energy, food security;
- Support the work of Oxfam’s EU policy advisors, including by conducting background research, drafting notes, and setting meetings with EU policy-makers;
- Attend meetings with policy makers, national Oxfam affiliate organisations and other non-governmental organisations;
- Work with Oxfam’s European affiliates and with other non-governmental organisations on joint advocacy initiatives;
- Assist in organising public events in support of Oxfam’s campaigns;
- Provide ad hoc day to day administrative support to the EU team.
- Keen interest and knowledge of international development, EU policies and decision-making processes;
- Education: academic degree in a relevant field such as International Development, European Affairs, Economics, Political Science or International Relations;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Knowledge of French, Spanish or German desirable;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to work within a team and with an international network;
- Computer skills: confident user of all Microsoft Office applications;
- A quick learner with a positive attitude and pro-active approach. Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage time effectively.