ČvT – Programový manažer
Biogas Programme Manager in Sri Lanka
Starting date: January 2015
Contract Length: 24 months with possibility of extension
Exact Job Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reports To: Regional Coordinator for South & South-East Asia
Biogas Programme Manager will manage EU-funded project “Promoting Renewable Energy as a Driver for Sustainable Development and Mitigation of Climate Change in Sri Lanka” aimed at creating of enabling environment for large-scale market-based dissemination of biogas technology for domestic and SME purposes.
Programme Manager will supervise the programme, with the specific responsibility for the timely, good-quality and efficient programme implementation, incl. by PIN local partner Janathakshan. This includes:
- developing capacities of construction/manufacturing SMEs for effective outreach and up-scaling of biogas technologies through market-based solutions
- supporting micro-/financial institutions (MFIs) in creating mechanism for provision of microcredits (and possibly also subsidies) for biogas system installations
- creation of legal, policy and institutional framework embedded in existing public institutions
- biogas technology promotion among households (general public) and small and medium hotels.
The other important aspects are:
- transfer of knowledge with development of domestic biogas market sector from Cambodia to Sri Lanka
- networking at national, regional and international levels and fora for biogas, renewable energy and sustainable production/consumption
- representing PIN towards Sri Lanka authorities (both program and administrative-wise) and existing/potential donors (EU, CzDA, ADB, USAID, GIZ, KfW, WB etc.)
- further fundraising for island-wide extension of the program.
PIN has been one of the partners in SNV-initiated National Biodigestor Programme in Cambodia since 2011, at the same time it started its domestic biogas initial/pilot activities in Ethiopia and Sri Lanka. The current EU-funded project in Sri Lanka started in January 2014.
PIN has been active in Sri Lanka since January 2005. The initial activities providing emergency assistance to the victims of tsunami were followed by recovery phase. Later PIN also provided relief to people effected by the armed conflict and supported their returns and restarting of their livelihoods with ECHO and USAID funding among others. PIN also played a key role in strengthening capacities of local authorities in partnership with GIZ and DAI. Since 2011 PIN has been involved in the biogas sector in Sri Lanka.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Management of the PIN biogas programme in Sri Lanka and involvement in all relevant strategic decision making
- Fulfil the duties and responsibilities of Country Director in Sri Lanka
- Ensure that the overall programme is designed, managed and implemented in conformity to People in Need’s policies, strategy and guidelines.
- Ensure effective operational management of biogas programme through line management of 3 national staff and partnership with local and international NGO and close cooperation with relevant Sri Lankan public authorities
- Provide technical support in market/SME development and multi-stakeholder support
- Ensure project developed meets high standards in terms of design, implementation and M&E through proper Project Cycle Management
- Track programme status through internally developed M&E systems, through monthly review meetings and develop solutions and tools accordingly.
- Track programme expenditure through monthly programme review meetings and quarterly meeting with partners using financial expenditure reports prepared by the finance department with backstopping of the HQ
- Ensure compliance with donor policies, procedures and procurement
- Maintain a regular communication with the project’s partners and ensure that information is spread within the project team.
Human Resource Management
- Plan capacity building needs for PIN and partners´ staff and ensure sufficient human resources for the programme to meet its objectives
- Ensures coherent policy towards recruitment, remuneration and bonuses across the country programme
Representation & Communications & Networking
- Engage in advocacy and policy dialogues where appropriate, ensuring PIN represents the needs of its beneficiaries and based on its field experience in order to campaign for needed policies, donor commitments etc.
- Ensure that PIN is part of and well represented at networking events related to renewable energy at national, regional and international levels
- Maintain open dialogue with public authorities in Sri Lanka at national and sub-national levels
- Liaise with HQ (esp. with Regional Coordinator on programmatic issues)
- Represent PIN towards Sri Lankan national and sub-national authorities
- Work closely with Janathakshan Communication Officer for the communication of the overall activities and ensure that the Communication and Visibility Plan is followed.
Documentation and Learning
- Ensure that all programmes properly retain programme learning for future projects and to be share with others, and that all information is properly documented.
- Ensure that all official programme documentation is properly stored and available for the future.
Requirements for Applicants
Education and Experience
- Third level qualification (BA/MA Degree)
- Bachelor or Master Degree in business, management, marketing, renewable energy or similar sectors
- Three years relevant programme and management experience in the development context
- Three years relevant overseas experience in business development marketing, technology dissemination or in development cooperation
- Proved management experience with multi-stakeholder project.
- Experience with Micro- Finance Institutions will be an advantage
Aptitude or Personality Requirements
- Empathy with the organisation Vision, Mission, Goals and Objectives
- Proven track record of high quality proposal writing and/or donor reporting
- Ability to identify problems and recommend possible solutions / Analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to motivate and to inject some dynamism
- develop skills of others
- Ability to work under pressure often to strict deadlines
- Methodical and thorough knowledge of computer applications i.e. MS Word and Excel
- Strong budget management skills
- Ability to work both as part of a team & independently
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Ability to listen and Perseverance
- Tolerance and acceptance of diversity
- Flexible and challenging working environment with room for personal growth
- 5 weeks leave per year, with flights home paid twice per year
- In-country accommodation and travel fully covered .
- Salary according PIN scale – 2 200 EUR
Interested candidates are requested to submit their CVs and cover letter to the email HR@clovekvtisni.cz . The closing date for the applications is November 30th, 2014. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted, thank you.