People in Need: Country Director in Ethiopia
People in Need (PIN) in Ethiopia –is a Czech NGO involved in development projects in SNNPR in Ethiopia. It was registered by the Ethiopian Ministry of Justice under registration No. 1130 in 2003 and re-registered by Charities and Societies Agency in 2012 under registration number 0563. Since summer 2003 PIN has been implementing projects mainly focused on education, water/sanitation, livelihoods, agriculture, environment and social development.
Location: Addis Ababa with frequent travels to SNNPR
Starting date: June/July 2015
Duration: 24 months with possibility of extension
Line-manager: Regional Coordinator for Africa at PIN HQ in Prague
Country Director (CD) is responsible for overall management and development of the mission and its employees (2 expatriates and over 50 nationals) and for PIN´s representation at the country level. CD supervises the mission’s programmes, finance and administration as well as human resources; at the same time the CD is ultimately responsible for the security management of the mission. Considerable part of CD’s responsibilities consists of medium and long-term task such as strategic planning, implementation of best practice and procedures, strengthening mission´s management and structure, employees capacity building.
Country Director is directly responsible for:
- Management: CD is responsible for leading the whole mission team, for overall coordination of all its operations and its proper joint acting (synergy). At the same time CD plans the development of the mission in accordance with the needs identified in the country and priorities of PIN. All these tasks are undertaken in close cooperation with Desk Officer (DO).
- Programmes: CD, in cooperation with HoP (Head of Programs), supports and supervises senior programme staff, follows all phases of the Project cycle management (PCM), and actively participates and leads the design of new programmes.
- Finance & Administration: CD supervises the finance and administration unit of the mission. Together with Finance Manager and Compliance Director prepares and follows up mission budget and overall economic situation.
- Human Resources: CD, in cooperation with DCD (Deputy Country Director, national) plans HR needs of the mission and takes part in the process of selection of new expatriate staff. CD is also responsible for capacity building, safety and security of all employees.
- Fundraising: CD is responsible for fundraising from institutional donors and financial stability of the mission including preparation of project proposals in cooperation with the programme staff. .
- Security: CD is responsible for security management, including keeping security policy up to date and enforcing its implementation in cooperation with national Security Officer). S/he is also working towards maximum possible safety of the working conditions to minimize health risks and secure PIN’s assets.
- External relations: CD represents mission in relation to media, public, authorities, donors and partners especially in the given country. The position requires frequent travels to the implementation sites, to Kinshasa and Goma.
- Logistics: CD supervises the operations and logistics department, approves all important purchases.
- Communication with HQ: CD is responsible for regular communication with the HQ and timely channelling of all important information.
- experience in management of team of 30+ employees in humanitarian and/or development context
- proven experience in programme management (needs assessments, proposal preparation, implementation, reporting, monitoring, evaluation)
- good knowledge of humanitarian and/or development aid system, and ability to understand donor and governmental requirements
- fluency in written and spoken English
- mature, reliable personality with ability to make decisions and work independently
- strong team-building skills
- ability to organize and plan effectively
- excellent communication, negotiation and networking skills
- ability to work in difficult conditions and under pressure
- cultural sensitivity, work/travel experience in developing countries
- dedication to work in the sector of humanitarian and development assistance
People in Need offers:
- Work in dynamic and motivated team
- Work experience with professional and flexible NGO, the largest in Central-Eastern Europe
- Salary defined by PINs salary grid
- Accommodation and local transport costs covered
- 2 flights to home country covered per year
- Financial bonuses based on performance twice a year
- Costs of visas and vaccination covered
- 25 days of holiday per year
- Medical helpdesk (in the Czech Republic, provided in English)
- Travel insurance (covers the health care incl. the repatriation)
- Introduction and training in Prague
- Participation in enriching annual meetings of all senior field staff in Prague
Suitable candidates are requested to send a CV and a motivation letter to: email@example.com by February 28th. Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis. Please note that only the short-listed candidates will be contacted.