People In Need – Country diirector for mission to Syria
Starting date: May/June, 2015
Contract Length: 18 months with possible prolongation
Location: Gaziantep, Turkey
PIN’s cross-border response in northern Syria began in September 2012, making PIN one of the first international NGOs providing relief in the opposition held areas of northern part of the country. Since then, PIN has provided direct assistance to more than 1,3 million of war-affected individuals mainly in the Aleppo and Idlib governorates, whilst additional 1 million of people has been helped indirectly. PIN mainly focuses on enhancing Food security, accompanied by Water and Waste interventions, NFI provision, Emergency Education and Capacity building. Given to the lenghy nature of the crises, aside of immedaite relief, PIN seeks to build resilience of the affected communicties through voucher or Cash for Work programs, or small scale Livelihoods interventions.
The programs are managed from main office in Turkey (Gaziantep) staffed with 10 expatriates and 16 local employees. In Syria, PIN has offices in Idlib and Aleppo with total of 83 staff. Due to the increased insecurity, kidnapping threath respectivelly, expatriates are no longer traveling inside Syria and projects are managed remotely.
Country director is responsible for overall Program strategy and quality implementation; Representation/ General coordiantion; Security; Human Resources; Logistical, administrative and financial monitoring as well as Complience with PIN and Donors´ rules and regulations;, and Communication with Headquarters.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensures that programmes are designed, managed and implemented in conformity to People in Need’s policies, strategy and guidelines
- Sectoral and geographical priorities and particular projects planning and co-writing, in cooperations with Program managers and with support of PIN Resourse personell and Desk officer
- Checks on at least monthly basis individual projects´ adherence to the proposal, budget and time frame, that procurement plan is correct and followed.
- Checks that quality monitoring takes place and timely and quality reporting is done (co-writes or approves reports)
- Assures that individual programs are represented at sectoral coordination fora (Working groups/Clusters).
Representation & Communication & Networking
- Responsible for development and maintaining of relations with partners, donors and local authorities
- Seeks for new funding opportunities
- Engage in advocacy and policy dialogues where appropriate, ensuring PIN represents the needs of its beneficiaries and based on its field experience in order to campaign for needed policies, donor commitments etc.
- Ensure that PIN is part of and well represented at relevant fora (NGO forum, OCHA HCM etc.), and its views and experience are incorporated into NGO dialogue.
- Actively engages in medialisation issues
- Coordinates with HQ and assures the information flow.
- With support of Security Officer ensures that security measures are adequate to situation and in place, keeps updated about the security situation both in target areas of Syria and in Turkey.
- Is active member of the Crises management team in case of security incident
Finance and Logistics
- Supervision of overall mission operational budget and economy, together with FO, FDO and DO.
- Supervise functioning and cost-effective administrative and logistic support to programs
- Supervise mission procurement processes and their adherence to PIN and Donor rules.
- In consultation with the HQ, plans HR needs of the mission and is directly engaged in recruitment
- Responsible for overall management of the country team and organisation of mission coordination meetings
- Ensure staff evaluations and done and capacity buidling takes place
- Reviews HR policy and assures it adheres to local legislation.
Requirements for Applicants
Education and Experience
- 5 years relevant overseas experience in humanitarian sector
- Experience with working in insecure environments and on remote management is advantage
Aptitude or Personality Requirements
- Empathy with the organisation Vision, Mission, Goals and Objectives
- Ability to work under pressure often to strict deadlines
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work both as part of a team & independently
- Strong budget management skills
- Ability to motivate and develop skills of others
- Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity (esp. gender and ethnicity)
- Start up salary in total (with per diems included, before taxation) 2350 – 2550 EUR,
- Initial and follow up training
- Cooperation with a young and motivated team within a stable organizational background
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations
- Medical helpdesk, psychological helpdesk (both available in English), travel medical insurance
- 25 days of paid leave annually
- Accommodation in PIN guesthouse in Turkey
Interested candidates are requested to submit their CVs and cover letter to MS. Barbora Jančová, via email HR@clovekvtisni.cz . The closing date for the applications is February 28th 2015. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted, thank you.